Our Homeschool Journal 10/5 - 10/9

We took a break from unit studies to get some more time spent on reading and math skills. As always I try to come up with fun ways to teach skills current to the boys' learning so that they don't even know it's "school".

To help Kaden with his addition and subtraction, in addition to printing numbers, he wrote the numbers from 1 to 30 on individual index cards. We laid them out in order and did counting by twos, fives, and tens. (He got to jump to each index card as he counted it). We counted backwards from 30 a few times, and then he had to do it without looking. I find that "challenges" are a good way to motivate him. I say, "Try to count backwards from 20 before I finish loading the dishwasher", etc. Not only have I given him a challenge, I get housework done too! Getting comfortable with the order of numbers helps him with addition and subtraction equations. Will even joined in on the counting forwards and backwards.
Photobucket

Photobucket

For reading we have been doing thinking games like I'll say, "I'm thinking of something that barks and rhymes with log", etc. Kaden guesses and then gets to give me one. For Will I say, "I'm thinking of something that starts with "B", and he guesses all the words he can think of that start with that sound, etc. We have fun going back and forth with these type of thinking games.

The boys have a favorite that we always come back to. I hide index cards around the room with relevant words, letters, colors, shapes (whatever they need to work on!) around the room. They have to find them and tell me what's on the card. Kaden is currently working on sight words. Will has graduated from colors to letters!

We got a Haloween drawing book that shows step-by-step instructions of how to draw little monsters and things with just shapes and lines. The boys have been having fun with this.
Photobucket

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Looks like fun- I need to use index cards for math, never thought of that! You are so great to be doing ANY school these last couple weeks. Your house looks HUGE, btw, no more worries about it looking too small, right? :) What an exciting time of life for you all!

Mom said...

I love index cards! Great ideas.

Post a Comment