Works For Me

I would have to say we are a very eclectic style of homeschooling family.  I like unit studies, bits and pieces from a few curriculum, LOVE hands on games (especially for my wild, wiggly boys), enjoy some structure, firmly believe that you can homeschool your kids for practically free, and think that most of learning is unplanned opportunities that happen during daily life.  Through all this I've learned that a very flexible routine work for us, and most kids like to have some sort of structure so that they know what to expect day to day, although they love the choices and creativity of helping pick what they are interested in and what they want to learn.

I thought surely there's someone else out there like me that is a organizer/planner that has learned the balance of organization with creative learning.  Workboxes almost had me, but after stalking people who did these for awhile, the thought of having to round up supplies every week and have those stack of boxes sitting around caused me to discard the thought.

We already have a chore card system in place (I did this growing up).  It works great because instead of a list that gets marked off and never seen again, you have a tangible card that can be moved to different days of the week within your card box (I'll share about this system soon.)

It finally occurred to me to write all the little creative learning ideas on cards just like chores and have them in boxes for the boys to pick from.


I run across ideas in books, blogs, etc, but to remember the idea was my problem.  Then when we were ready to sit down and do activities I wasted so much time trying to find that idea that I was thinking about and the time is gone.  Now I just jot it on a card (sometimes with a short description).  On the back I put the initial of the kid it is for, what resource I got it from (if I did), and what subject.
Any supplies used just for a particular game goes in a ziploc bag labeled with appropriate items inside, and I mark "bag" on the back of the card.


I keep all supplies on these two shelving systems and the boys can go pick the item out for the card that they want to do.

I also have an "extra" section in the back of their card boxes.  No boredom around this house!  If they need something to do, they can go look through the extra section for boredom buster ideas!  (It never fails that when they are bored I can't think about ideas - now they're all written down).

If you have any questions ask away!  I will be sharing more of my resources and activity ideas this week.  If you have a good organized/with flexibility system for school activities please share!

0 comments:

Post a Comment